Monday, September 17, 2007

How many have you read?

This morning I grabbed a copy of the pamphlet "50 Great New Zealand Books" that has been put out as part of New Zealand Book month (this is available at your local library and is also on the Book month website www.nzbookmonth.co.nz)

There is a wide and varied selection of books on this list, from popular fiction and short stories to non-fiction, cookbooks and picture books. I did a little exercise and ticked off the ones that I had read and discovered I had only read 15 from the 50 (working on the basis that a quick flick through as they pass over the counter doesn't qualify as reading them - ha ha). I must admit there are plenty that I have on my "to do" list so it is probably more indicative of a lack of time rather than a lack of intention (like so many of us).

Some of the books I have managed to look at include:

The House of Peine - Sarah-Kate Lynch
Sarah-Kate is my choice of New Zealand chick-lit authors. Her books are funny, her characters charming and she throws in a touch of good food and wine as well.

Mr Pip - Lloyd Jones
The book everyone is talking about. It is also one of our most popular items, so it was only recently I got a chance to read it. Thought provoking.

Kitty - Deborah Challinor and The Denniston Rose - Jenny Patrick
New Zealand authors do historical fiction really well and it are one of my favourite genres. Our short history (in comparison with other countries) as lent itself to some excellent titles and some strong woman characters. These two are great examples.

Edmonds Cookery Book
Is it just me, or is it hard to imagine a New Zealand household that does not have one of these books? I am on my second copy (and I'm really not that old). One of my favourites was the anniversary edition put out last year which had reader's favourite recipes and comments.

These books are all available in the Rodney Libraries.
Have a good day.

No comments: